Friday, October 1, 2010

Bike Maintenance - The Untold Story

Yesterday I picked up a copy of Bicycling Magazine’s Complete Guide to Bicycle Maintenance and Repair: For Road and Mountain Bikes by Todd Downs. What surprised me was the amount of “routine” maintenance you are suppose to do on a very regular basis. Before every ride there is a checklist and after every ride another checklist. Once a month a bigger list and then once a year the whole bike needs to be gone through oiled greased and cleaned. It reminds me of drivers education, the instructor made it clear that a responsible driver, before getting in the car, checked all the lights and turn signals, walked around the car to make sure it was clear, and generally did stuff that would take at least 15 minutes before you even put the car in drive. Well now I am off the clean, oil, and shake my bike to make sure there are no loose part.

No comments:

Post a Comment